Sunday 13th September 1914

East Grinstead. Church Parade at Parish Church. Mother arrives. Picnic in Recreation Ground. Walk in the afternoon with Mother, J.A.Millar and his brother. To tea at the Whitehall rooms. Walk in the evening. Mr Hughes sent tomatoes and air cushion, and Mrs Ninnis cake and jam.

The Whitehall rooms, along with the Whitehall cinema, were destroyed on 9th July 1943 by a lone German bomber who attacked the High Street and London Road. As a result of the raid 108 people were killed and 235 were seriously injured.